JS-TOOLBOX. – Methodological Toolbox for Development of New Skill for Future Jobs
CALL: Lifelong Learning Programme – Leonardo Da Vinci
LENGTH: 24 months
STARTING DATE: October 2010
RESOLUTION NUMBER: 2010-1-SE1-LEO05-04797
Folkuniversitetet Kursverksamheten vid Uppsala Universitetet. FU-Uppsala, Sweden
“DIMITRA” Training and Development Institute, Greece
DOCUMENTA – European Institute for Training and Development Studies, Spain
Studies Staropolska Izba Przemysłowo- Handlowa, Poland
Revalento, The Netherland
Skill and professional mismatches have substantial economic and social costs and contribute to structural unemployment. An early identification of future needs in terms of knowledge and skills will let trainers and educators foresee the most requested abilities in the future, so that a better adjustment between work and abilities is assured. In its political document “New Abilities for New Jobs”, the Commission states that an early identification of future needs on competences is a key factor to reduce the training divide. It helps trainers and educators anticipating skills that will be required in the medium to long term, so that a better adjustment between work and abilities is assured. (Future Needs of Abilities, CEDEFOP, 2008)
The aforementioned policy recommends the following points
a) Promotion of a stronger cooperation between multiple agents with regard to the adjustment within the education and training system to current needs.
b) Involvement of the several potential agents in the anticipation of future needs regarding abilities. Also, creating and disseminating good practices in the good use of perspectives with regard to educational and training offer.
This project aims to develop a methodological tool to management/managing groups that facilitates:
1. Interpretation of future regional labour market needs for each job profile.
2. Interpretation of future regional labour market needs for type of education according to skills gaps profile.
3. Inclusion of regional foresight for future profile of abilities in new education and vocational training programmes of the regions
The tangible result will be a tool that covers the process from the interpretation of the foresight to job/skills profile and from there, to the modernization of education and vocational training programmes. Those remaining active in the management of groups will contribute as follows:
-The Public Employment Service will provide regional foresight and the interpretation of future needs of the region by each occupational group.
-Employers will contribute with the interpretation of supply by each job profile as well as revising new education and training programmes or modernized ones for the future.
-Education and training partners will provide new education and training programmes in accordance with the defined professional skills.
Consequences of the project will be:
a) An improving of cooperation and coordination of the labour policy of the region.
b) A greater labour inclusion and future risk reduction of skills mismatches.
The main goal of this proposal is to adapt, adjust and develop vocational education and training systems of the future according with medium term needs of competences and new jobs based on the forecasts of future development of regional labour market.
The specific aim is to elaborate a methodological tool to employ the predicted regional needs in order to modernize current vocational education and training programmes and design new ones in accordance with regional forecasts. This tool will be elaborated through forums (managing groups/ coordination teams including the Public Employment Service and employers´ associations) according to the following points:
1. Future demands of a regional labour market by each occupational group and their effect on the supply of professional skills profiles.
2. Provision of labour market by type of education according to profesional skills profiles.
3. Inclusion of results in the regional forecast of job/competences needs in a series of competence profiles that are possible to employ in the development of new vocational education and training programmes for future jobs in those regions.
Stakeholders will contribute to the achievement of objectives in the following manner:
– The Public Employment Service (PES) will provide the regional foresight and the interpretation of needs by each occupational group, in addition of vocational education and training needs
-Workers´ representatives will provide the interpretation of supply by job and professional skills profiles and the future revision of not only the new vocational education and training programmes but also the adapted ones
-Vocational education and training partners will provide suggestions regarding new training programmes according to defined professional skills profiles
The methodological work tool will be developed within the framework of active forums (coordination and managing groups), with Public Employment Services and business organizations, as members of this consortium/partnership
4. TARGET AUDIENCE
• Vocational education and training Institutions, local unions of workers, and Public Employment Services
• Vocational education and training national entities, businessmen, National Employment Services, European stakeholders as CEDEFOP.